Comedian and former talk show host Jay Leno was taken to the hospital this weekend after reportedly suffering third-degree burns.

Sources say Jay, 72, who is an avid classic car collector, was working on one of his vehicles when he was sprayed in the face with gasoline that immediately caught fire.

The first sign that something was wrong came over the weekend, when Jay’s family canceled a private appearance on his behalf.

According to People, organizers of a financial conference in Las Vegas told attendees in an email that Jay would not be making it to a scheduled comedy performance that Sunday night, due to a “serious medical emergency.”

“His family was not able to provide us very many details, but there was a very serious medical emergency that is preventing Jay from traveling,” the email explained. “All we know is that he is alive, so our prayers go out to him and his family tonight.”

Jay finally spoke out, revealing that the emergency occurred on Saturday when he was working in his garage. Located in Burbank, his garage is featured on his show Jay Leno’s Garage, where Jay showcases his more than 180 cars.

Jay told TMZ that he was working on his 1907 Steam Car, a vehicle that reportedly runs with an open flame, according to his statements from the show.

He told the outlet that when fixing a clogged line, he was sprayed with fuel and shortly caught on fire.

He also told TMZ that he was in the hospital with burns on his face and hands, but he luckily did not burn his eyes or ears. The outlet said Jay could possibly need to receive skin grafts.

Jay credited his friend Dave for jumping into action when the accident occurred.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *