The season is turning towards a sunnier disposition now that we’re in the midst of spring, and it’s time to start stocking up on sunny time goods like sunscreen, in particular.

We all know how important it is to give our skin the protection it needs from the harsh rays of the sun, but what about protection from the sunscreen itself?

Rebecca Cannon is a 32-year-old mother, and like any other caring mom, she made sure to put a coat of sunscreen on her baby’s face before going to play outside for a while.

What happened just shortly after applying the sunscreen, though, now has Cannon issuing a warning to all other unsuspecting parents.

It was in the early weeks of May 2017 when Cannon was visiting her sister in Newfoundland, Canada. As per usual in the hustle and bustle of being a mom on the go, sometimes certain things tend to get left behind, especially important things.

Such was her luck when she realized that she had forgotten the sunscreen she normally used on her daughter Kyla’s face, who was only about 14-months-old at the time..

 

Knowing how important it is to protect a child’s skin, she asked to borrow some sunscreen from her sister.

When she asked her sister if she had any sunscreen to hand, she gave her an aerosol spray can of Banana Boat Kids Free Broad Spectrum SPF 50

Most parent’s, once they had the can in hand and read the word “kids”, would have faith enough in a name brand manufacturer to believe that the product wouldn’t cause any harm to their children. After all, it does say it’s for kids…

Cannon, however, is a thorough woman when it comes to reading the label and following instructions.

So, when she read on the back of the can that the product was safe for children that are at least 6-months-old or older, she knew she shouldn’t have any problem with Kyla, who was already 1+.

Following the instructions, Rebecca sprayed the sunscreen into her hands before gently applying it to her precious daughter’s delicate face.

Once the swelling and red rash became apparent on Kyla a couple of hours later, Cannon was worried. When it had turned to severe swelling and blistering by the next morning, though, she raced her daughter to the E.R. where she was told that Kyla was suffering from an unexplainable second-degree burn.

This made absolutely no sense to Cannon who had certainly applied sunscreen, and in the proper order, in addition to covering up Kyla’s skin with a hat and clothes.

There was just no good reason that Kyla would have such severe burns on her skin…until she thought about the sunscreen..

In an interview with Today, Cannon talks about realizing the burn was from the sunscreen that was supposed to protect her sweet little daughter.

“She was red. She was blistering. She is the only one who had sunscreen on and she is the only one who burned.”

The E.R. Dr. had sent Cannon home with some cream to apply to Kyla’s swollen face, but after using it just twice, her conditions got even worse, with more swelling and redness.

Cannon went back to the hospital where she and little Kyla were referred to a dermatologist to have a closer look, where he determined that Rebecca’s poor, precious 1-year-old daughter had suffered a “caustic burn from the sunscreen.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.