An eyewitness has relived the horrific moment two tradies with a string of driving bans died in a fireball when their Audi exploded into flames after it careered off the road during a high-speed police chase.

Jebriel Dandan, 24, and Seifeddine Malas, 27, burnt to death trapped inside the fiery wreckage on Sydney’s M4 freeway after the performance S3 sedan flipped onto its roof and was engulfed in a raging inferno.

Malas had been banned from driving until 2025 in June after a series of driving offences and was also subject to a three-year intensive corrections order.

Dandan had previously been banned for driving under the influence of drugs, driving while banned and he also admitted driving in the dark without lights.

The registration of Malas’s 2017 2-litre turbo Audi S3 sedan – worth around $80,000 when new and capable of going from 0-100km/h in 4.7 seconds – was also cancelled in the last month, just days after it had just been renewed in December.

The pursuit had begun at 12.30am on Tuesday when highway patrol officers spotted the white Audi S3 speeding on Centenary Drive, Strathfield, in Sydney’s inner-west.

But it ended in tragedy moments later when the car flew off the road on the southbound M4 on-ramp at Homebush and was engulfed in a fireball.

An off-duty police officer and two trainee cops desperately tried in vain to reach the pair but the intense heat of the blaze repeatedly kept their brave attempts at bay.

‘This happened in front of me,’ revealed witness Leon Justin, who was driving nearby.

‘They were going pretty fast, they almost took out my trailer.

‘The Audi tried to shake the cops off with a sudden left onto the ramp – still doing a high speed – but the Audi just went straight through the guardrail.

‘The Audi driver must have watched too many movies,’ he posted on Facebook.

The car smashed through the barrier into a thick bush embankment, sending it rolling out of control before it smashed roof-first onto the freeway 20m below.

Dramatic vision shows the overturned vehicle engulfed in a raging inferno.

Malas – who had a large ‘Kill4Family’ tattoo across his chest, surrounded by the names of relatives – ran building company Sydney City Tuckpointing at South Wentworthville, in Sydney’s west.

Both men had previously appeared in court multiple times on various charges at Parramatta, Fairfield and Burwood in Sydney.

Dandan was caught driving under the influence of drugs and banned for three months in May 2022 and fined $550. He also admitted driving in the dark without lights.

He had previously been caught driving while suspended in 2019 and was banned again in 2020 for a string of offences including altering a driving licence and giving a false name or address.

He was also sentenced to 18 months intensive corrections order in February 2021 for demanding property with menaces, after he had previously been convicted of stealing and caught possessing drugs and a knife in a public place.

A grieving member of Malas’s family confirmed the deaths.

‘We are all just trying to get our thoughts together at this time,’ the relative said.

Jebriel’s relative Isaac Dandan said the family did not wish to make any comment at this time.

A passing car with an off-duty police officer and two trainees stopped and the three repeatedly tried to rescue the two men trapped inside but flames kept them at bay.

‘Their efforts were both brave and admirable,’ Acting Assistant Police Commissioner Adam Whyte said on Tuesday.

‘They went back a number of times despite the heat and the fire in an attempt to remove these persons from the vehicle.’

The officers were treated by paramedics at the scene for minor injuries.

The bodies of two men were found in the Audi after firefighters extinguished the blaze. They have yet to be formally identified but the identities were confirmed by family members.

The identities were first revealed by Instagram site SCN Worldstar, and a Facebook group Request Dua which marks the death of Muslims asked for prayers for the pair on Tuesday afternoon.

‘With shock and sadness two families are grieving the loss of their loved ones,’ the site admin posted.

‘Our brothers Jabril(sic) Dandan and Seifeddine Malas returned to their Lord after being involved in a critical car accident early hours of this morning.

‘Can we kindly ask you to make sincere Dua for both our brothers and their families.

‘O Allah, forgive them and have mercy on them and grant them peace and pardon them. Receive them with honour and make his place of entry (in grave) spacious.

‘Wash them with water, snow, and ice and cleanse them of their faults like a white garment is cleansed of stains. O Allah, substitute for them an abode better than their abode, a family better than their family.

‘Admit them into Paradise and protect them from the torment of the grave and the torment of the Fire. Ameen

‘We ask Allah give both families a beautiful patience give strength and comfort them.’

A critical incident team will investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident and the investigation will be subject to independent review.

Mr Justin added: ‘The Chrysler 300c highway patrol car pulled up at the spot where the Audi went through the guardrail.

‘I had a trailer on and couldn’t pull up in time so I just kept going, the car must have burst into flames after that. There was not much traffic on the M4…’

Police said they were investigating the exact speed the Audi was travelling at during the incident but said it had been travelling at an ‘excessive’ speed.

They are probing reports a second car involved in the accident with a Toyota sedan also said to have been seen in the area at the time.

‘The speed did not change. It continued to be excessive. The speed itself will be part of the investigation,’ said assistant commissioner Whyte.

‘If you are speeding and you are detected by the police it is far easier to stop and accept the consequences of your actions.

‘It’s amazing that no other vehicles were impacted.’

The crash caused traffic chaos for early morning commuters on the M4.

One of three westbound lanes remained closed at Homebush Bay Drive six hours after the crash, along with both the north and southbound on-ramps.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *