A seven-year-old boy died after being crushed between two cars when he was changing out of his rugby boots, an inquest heard today.

Alfie Tollett was standing behind his family’s vehicle when a parked car slammed into him after being ‘shunted’ by another vehicle that was struggling to fit into a space.

The youngster, who had been watching his brother play at Plymstock Albion Oaks Rugby club in Plymouth on February 19, was taken to hospital where he later died.

A 55-year-old man, who was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving, has been released on bail until May.

A statement from Coroner Ian Arrow, read at the inquest, said: ‘[Alfie] was stood at the rear of the family car changing his boots for his shoes after watching his brother play rugby.

‘A stationary vehicle parked behind the family vehicle was then struck by another electrically propelled vehicle that was attempting to park; this vehicle has shunted forward the parked vehicle and crushed Alfie between the two vehicles.

‘Alfie was conveyed to Derriford Hospital, but sadly passed away.’

His official cause of death was given at the short hearing as blunt force traumatic chest injuries.

Police are continuing to appeal for witnesses and any dashcam footage from the scene.

Tributes have poured in for Alfie, who lived in Plymouth.

His family said in a statement after his death: ‘This has to be one of the hardest things we have had to do as a family.

‘On Sunday, our precious little Alfie was involved in a horrible incident where sadly he lost his life.

‘This has left a massive hole in our whole family. Our Alfie was not just our son and brother, but also a grandson, a cousin, a nephew and a friend to so many people.

‘He was our special cheeky, funny and precious little man. Our hearts are completely broken. We are so numb and are struggling to understand why this has happened.

‘We would like to thank you for the kind words of support we have received.

‘To our Alfie moos, we miss you sweetheart and we will never ever forget you. Fly high our baby.

‘Thank you for the best seven years of our lives. All our love Mummy, Daddy, Jack and Teddy. X’

Paying tribute on Facebook, Plymstock Oaks RFC, where Alfie was a member, said: ‘It is with deep shock and sadness that we regret to inform you of the tragic loss of a young life of one of our own today.

‘Our deepest condolences go out to the family and their friends during this difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.’

Devon and Cornwall Police said: ‘Officers continue to make enquiries to establish the circumstances of the collision, which happened at around 11.10am on Wembury Road, near the Plymstock Albion Oaks Rugby Club.

‘A 55-year-old man from Plymouth was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving. He has been released on police bail to return on Saturday 20 May.’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *